There are many exciting and fun things to do right after the gates open that you won’t want to miss!
Put these on your to-do list for the day:
- Visit the Queen’s Cup Souvenir Tent in Brooklandwood Village in the infield
- Register for the 24th Annual Queen’s Cup Hat Contest emceed by WSOC anchor, Scott Wickersham. Sign up behind the Parade Ring in the infield near the finish line.
- Purchase Raffle Tickets – 100% of revenue goes to Alzheimer’s Association
- Enter the Tailgate Contest by 11:30 at the Infield Souvenir Tent
- Ride the ponies courtesy of the Mecklenburg Hounds (only $5.00 a ride)
- Tour the Military Display Courtesy of Bravo Battery, 1st Battalion, 113th Field Artillery
- Order great food in Brooklandwood Village from the one of the most popular food trucks in the Charlotte area, OooWeeBBQ. Look over their menu. After lunch refreshments by King of Pops .
10:00 am to 2:30 pm
Pony Rides (for kids)
The Pony Rides continue the tradition of kids enjoying their day at the Queen’s Cup. Bring the little ones to the races and let them enjoy a ride on a pony. Hosted by the Mecklenburg Hounds, Inc.
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Jack Russell Terrier Races
Join the Carolina Jack Russell Terrier Club in the Infield to watch the Jack Russells race! They’re located below the Croup parking area. For details on how to enter your terrier, please go to http://www.cjrtc.com. The deadline for entries is April 14, 2019. PLEASE NOTE: Those not registered in advance to compete should not bring dogs/pets to the race grounds.
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM
Racecourse Jockey Walk
Meet at the finish line at 11:00 am and walk the parts or the entire one mile and a sixteenth racecourse with a professional jump jockey while learning the secrets of race riding and the sport of steeplechasing. Kids are encouraged to come along!
11:45 AM & 12:30 pm
& Opening Ceremonies
At 11:45 am, judging begins for the Hat Contest. The contest will be emceed by WSOC anchor, Scott Wickersham. Categories include Men, Women and Children. All hats must be hand decorated.
Then at 12:30 pm, you should not miss the Opening Ceremonies that features The Mecklenburg Hounds’ Walking of the Hounds, with Color Guard by Bravy Battery, 1st Battalion, 113th Field Artillery, Grandfather Mountain Highlanders Pipe Band, an Invocation and The National Anthem.
Judging of the 24th Annual Queen’s Cup Tailgate Contest entries. Prizes will be awarded in three categories: Most Elegant, Most Whimsical, Most Creative. Pick a category, get those creative juices flowing, and plan to win!
Judging takes place from 12:oopm to 1:00pm on Race Day, and winners are announced at 2:15pm.
Download your entry form here and bring it to the Infield Souvenir Tent in Brooklandwood Village no later than 11:30am day of the race.
Please note: Times of races are approximate
1:30 PM - 1st Race
Ratings Handicap Hurdle
$30,000 Ratings Handicap Hurdle, 2 1/4 miles, in Memory of Thomas M. Mosca, Sr., 2 1/8 miles.
Windsor Jewelers Raffle Drawing
Support our charity by purchasing a raffle ticket! 100% of the proceeds go to the Alzheimer’s Association of Western NC. You may pre-purchase by using our online store or buy tickets on Race Day from one of our roaming raffle sellers or from a souvenir tent.
Tickets are $10.00 each, 3 for $25.00, or 8 for $50.00. You do not have to be present to win! Only one winner per raffle item. See raffle ticket for more prize details and restrictions.
After the Last Race
24th Annual Hot Walk Party
Plan to join us next year as we celebrate our 25th Anniversary on Saturday, April 26th, 2020. Always the last Saturday in April!